Visitors’ Trail: the largest Dala horse in the world and endangered European bison.Show map
This trail takes you to the sites most worth seeing in Avesta. You start and finish in the town centre at Avesta Library and pedal through central parts of the town. Visit such places as Avesta Bison Park in the west, bike on past the largest Dala horse in the world, through the neighbouring community of Krylbo to the Karlfeldt home and visit the Erik Lars farm to the east. On your way back you pass Koppardalen with the Dead Falls, the old mill Verket/ Avesta Art and Gamla Byn, the old town. There are several cosy cafés, restaurants, pleasant shops and good accommodation along the Visitors’ Trail.Show more Show less
Good to know
- Leisure Cycling
1. Start at Avesta Library, Kungsgatan 32.
2. To the Bison Park: Bike west along Kungsgatan and its extension Jämtbovägen.
3. Follow the cycle track across the stream Salomonsån, over the main road Älvnäsleden at the crossing to Djäknehyttevägen.
4. Take the second turning to the right, Gammelängsvägen.
5. Take the second left and follow the signposts to the Bison Park - Visentparken.
6. From the Bison Park cycle back towards the town centre. Follow the gravel road down to Gammelängsvägen and turn right.
7. At the crossroads in Djäknehyttan, keep left and follow Djäknehyttevägen to Älvnäsleden.
8. Cross the road and follow the cycle track back up to Jämtbovägen, then on Kungsgatan towards the town centre.
Choose between three alternatives here:1/ turn off towards Gamla Byn and bike through Koppardalen to visit Verket/Avesta Art and the Dead Falls, 2/ cycle across Kungsbron bridge to Skogsbo and Åsbo for the world’s largest Dala horse, or 3/ continue straight ahead towards Krylbo. All three alternatives meet up at the roundabout where Kungsgatan crosses route 68 by Outokumpu steel mill. Our description continues here with the route straight through the centre of Avesta to Krylbo.
9. Pass the Tourist information centre and bike on past the Avesta Galleria shopping centre, via Stadshusparken, continuing along the cycle track on Kungsgatan on the far side of the shopping centre.
10. Follow Kungsgatan and its extension Dalavägen past the roundabout and on to Krylbo, passing Avesta-Krylbo railway station.
11. Continue along Stationsgatan which turns into Folkaregatan towards Karlbo.
12. Follow the cycle track which crosses Folkaregatan just after the OK/Q8 filling station, biking on to the Karlfeldt homestead on the left of the cycle track. You can do a detour here to the Brunnbäck Stone.
13. From the Karlfeldt home to Erik Lars farm: Cycle back along the cycle track and cross Folkaregatan, following it left towards Brovallen
14. Folkaregatan joins route 70, but take a right turn towards Brovallen before the crossroads and follow this to Igeltjärna.
15. Erik Lars farm is well sign-posted to the right from this road.
16. From Erik Lars farm to the Dead Falls: Take the same route back to Brovallen.
17. Turn left on Folkaregatan towards Karlbo before the crossroads with route 70 and bike on the cycle track to Krylbo.
18. Continue along Stationsgatan past the station and back along Dalavägen towards Avesta.
19. Cycle under the big roundabout by Outokumpu, and keep right towards the Dala horse in Åsbo, following the cycle track along route 68.
20. Up on Krylbovägen, turn left, right and left again on to Koppardalsvägen for the Dead Falls nature area.
21. From the Dead Falls to the Dala horse: Continue on the cycle track over Åsbobron bridge and the Dalälven river, turning left on Get Johannas väg before the roundabout in Åsbo. Here you can see the world’s largest Dala horse.
22. From the Dala horse to Gamla Byn: Coninue along the cycle track beside Get Johannas väg under route 70.
23. Just before the residential area in Skogsbo, turn left on the cycle track which leads under route 70 and out to the road Månsbobacken.
24. Follow the cycle track to the left down the hill, across the bridge Kyrkbrobron and Dalälven.
25. On Kyrkogatan by Avesta church, cross the road and turn into Gamla Byn on Hamngatan.
26. Continue along Bruksgatan, crossing Kyrkogatan into Koppardalen on Koppardalsvägen. On the left is the old Avesta ironworks Verket with Avesta Art.
28. From Verket to the finishing point Avesta Library: follow Bruksgatan back to Kyrkogatan.
29. Turn left to follow Kyrkogatan towards the town centre.
30. Turn left on Kungsgatan and follow it to Avesta Library.