Hammer forges were established in the sixteenth century, where skilled smiths hammered the crude iron from the smelting houses into bar iron. In the middle of the eighteenth century the mine owners built an earth-and-timber smelting house. This was succeeded in 1861 by a splendid smelting house, the biggest in Sweden in terms of size and capacity. Both smelting houses still stand today. Together with today’s modern industrial buildings, they show an unbroken tradition of iron and steel production, which spans over 600 years in Långshyttan.