Norra Barken round tripShow map
This round trip across varied terrain starts at Smedjebackens harbour. The harbour sits beautifully by lake Barken, the start and end point of Strömsholms Kanal, the second longest canal in Sweden at 110 km-long, running through fourteen lakes and twenty-six locks. In the harbour area there is a roundhouse, steam locomotives, a narrow-gauge railway, a restaurant, kiosk, café and crazy golf. Also look out for Arkivhuset a restored stone building that holds exhibitions summertime, as well as Meken, a cultural centre with art gallery and interesting exhibitions.Show more Show less
1. Starting point at the harbour
2. Follow the signs for Strömsholms Kanal Cykelled.
3. Pass by Prästabadet
4. You come out on the highway; turn right towards Säter and Borlänge.
5. Turn right towards Villa Gladtjärn/Barken Konferens, Korsheden
6. You will pass through the villages of Stimmerbo, Vibberbo and Saxe
7. At Korsheden follow the signs for Söderbärke at 4 km
8. At Söderbärke turn right towards the town centre (Strömsholms Kanal Cykelled also shows Vad and Fagersta straight ahead)
9. When leaving the town centre in Söderbärke turn right onto the gravel path. NB. before reaching the highway. At the highway there is a sign for Strömsholms Kanal Cykelled
10. At Perhindersbo turn right
11. At Vanbo turn right onto the gravel path
12. You pass by Rastahyttan and further on you pass Backbyn, Flatenbergs foundry
13. On reaching Smedjebacken turn right for the town centre
14. Follow the signs for Hamnen (harbour)